We look at the moon almost every night but how much do you know about it? Aside from being the Earth’s only natural satellite visible from the surface, what else do you know about it?
Well, don’t worry if you are caught surprised with the question. In fact, a lot of people who love the moon know so little about it. Maybe it has something to do with being romantic and mysterious.
But it wouldn’t hurt to know facts about the moon, right? And I won’t just be giving you boring old facts. As a matter of fact, I will give you surprising ones. Here are the surprising facts about the moon.
1. One time 4.5 billion years ago, there was no such thing as the moon. The moon was formed when a rock as big as the planet Mars hit Earth. Well, at least that’s what the leading theory is telling us.
2. Did you know that you have been looking at one side of the moon ever since? Almost like it’s locked in orbit.
3. The moon is the Earth’s only natural satellite right? Well, not really. It may be the only natural satellite that is visible from the surface but in 1999 astronomers found a 3 mile wide asteroid caught in Earth’s gravitational grip.
4. The surface of the moon rarely changes because it has no wind or rain that will erode the surface. The only time anything changes on the surface is when anything alien arrives – like a rock or visiting humans.
5. Albeit popular belief, the moon is not shaped like a circle. It looks more like an egg and you are actually looking at the pointy end right now.
6. There are actually moonquakes! When the Apollo astronauts landed on the moon, they uses seismometers and found out that there are small quakes on the moon that originates a couple of kilometers down from the surface.
7. We are going to lose the moon someday. Well, not in a few thousand years. The moon is actually moving 3.8 centimeters farther away from the Earth every year.